We don’t know what is going to happen, or how, or when, and that very uncertainty is the space of hope. In the spaciousness of uncertainty is the space to act.
Taking this to heart we have developed a 10 point response to the president-elect’s 10 point immigration plan.
- Trump’s 10 point immigration plan
1. Build the wall
2. End “catch and release.”
3. Create a deportation task force and focus on criminals in the country illegally
4. Defund sanctuary cities
5. Cancel President Obama’s executive actions
6. Extreme vetting. Block immigration from some nations
7. Force other countries to take back those whom the U.S. wants to deport
8. Get biometric visa tracking system fully in place
9. Strengthen E-Verify, block jobs for the undocumented
10. Limit legal immigration, lower it to “historic norms,” and set new caps
- Increase outreach to enable all eligible immigrants to attain legal status
- Educate vulnerable populations about their rights and resources
- Help vulnerable people develop readiness plans
- Increase resources to defend immigrants, especially minors, in immigration court
- Maintain or increase accredited representative resources to continue our high rate of affirmative applications
- Encourage city and county law enforcement to limit their cooperation with ICE
- Develop and propose Welcoming Community ordinances to Kitsap city and county governments
- Help immigrant business owners register their businesses, file/pay taxes, and improve their business skills
- Participate in encouraging immigrant friendly state legislation
- Work with other agencies to develop an alert network
We will use hope and action to protect our sisters and brothers.