Like you, we are heartbroken by the images of the destruction of Ukranian cities, the deaths of civilians, and the millions of people — mostly women and children (and often, their pets) — fleeing for their lives. We are inspired by Ukrainian courage and the leadership of President Zelenskyy. Along with the horror and cruelty, there are so many acts of generosity and love, as people around the world mobilize to help Ukraine.
This month’s quote from the book “Nonviolent Soldier of Islam” is by Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, often referred to as Frontier Gandhi. Our mission at KIAC is to offer assistance to those from anywhere in the world who come to the United States seeking safety. This past month, we “sowed our seeds” in the following ways.
- At the request of a local immigrant community leader, KIAC conducted two asylum workshops to assist in the preparation of complex asylum paperwork for a handful of asylum seekers we wouldn’t have had the opportunity to otherwise assist.
- KIAC conducted our regular health and dental clinics during the month of March with over 25 patient visits.
- KIAC leadership participated in a discussion at Congregation Kol Shalom regarding the refugee crisis and KIAC’s role in this work. We are excited to get back into the community to talk about KIAC with those who want to learn more and become involved.
As we finish up the first full week of April, we look forward to providing our constituents with the following opportunities.
- KIAC will continue to hold our regular health and dental clinics with the addition of a Saturday medical clinic! KIAC offers accessible, affordable services to immigrants within our community, and holding a weekend medical clinic is just one additional way we live out our mission.
- Tax season is well underway, and we continue to assist our clients with Federal and State tax preparations and filings.
- Our communities biggest day of giving, Kitsap Great Give, is April 19. Early giving is now open! All gifts through Kitsap Great Give are boosted, and we just learned that two key, KIAC partners have donated a $30,000 match. All gifts up to $30,000 will be matched dollar-for-dollar. Schedule your gift today, and stay tuned to your inboxes in the coming weeks!
I remain in constant gratitude for the support of our community partners, volunteers and staff as we continue to sow the seeds of the future.
Thangam Chandrasekaran, Executive Director
P.S. I want to hear how and why our supporters are involved with KIAC and what we can do to strengthen those partnerships. Interested in meeting with me? Send me an email.