“Our bill, SB 5109, which would allow all of Washington’s undocumented workers to apply for unemployment insurance without affecting immigration status, will be heard in the Senate Labor and Commerce Committee tomorrow, Thursday January 26th, at 8:00am.
We need your help to make sure legislators vote YES before the deadline at 7:00am PST, Thursday.
Can you state your position through the link below urging members of the House Labor & Workplace Standards Committee to vote for SB 5109/HB 1095?
- Under the Committee Menu, be sure Labor & Commerce is selected
- Ensure the meeting time of 01/26/2023 at 8:00AM is selected
- Select SB 5109 Wage replacement
- Finally, select “I would like my position noted for the legislative record” and complete the form.
- Make sure you state your position in favor by selecting “Pro”.
- Complete your information on the form as requested.
- Click submit.
Undocumented workers have been categorically denied access to unemployment insurance, a vital social safety net for all communities, despite contributing to Washington’s unemployment benefits for decades. The business community is coming out against these initiatives but we say Excluded No More!
Washington can and should be a leader in groundbreaking programs that uplift all residents, regardless of citizenship status. All workers deserve dignity and support for their families.
Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her
WAISN Policy Director”